Seriously? Dear Walmart | Today's Cliche - Marriage, Family, & Working Mommy... from BOTH Women's and Men's Perspectives

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Seriously? Dear Walmart

February 1, 2010 by Kat

Why oh why do you torture me so? Your staff is horrible — no, wait. I wouldn’t even KNOW BECAUSE I CAN NEVER FIND THEM!!  And, can you please ask your customer service people to wash their hair once a week? I don’t mean to be ugly; really (!) – it’s just that I lose my lunch everytime I see am forced to stare at their greasy roots while I WAIT ON LINE FOR 48 MINUTES !  And, it’s not like you’re understaffed (!). I mean, seriously, there are tons of staff just sittin’ around. Can’t one of those lazy ass&s stop picking their nails and gossiping about their men and walk forward a few inches, actually STAND IN FRONT of their register, and say, “Next in line”? Oh, no, that would take too much energy.

I’m also convinced you must have some freakin’ subtle / mesmerizing /underlying message peeping through the speaker system that puts mom in a tranz – and I wind up chucking stuff in my cart that I never in a million years would have otherwise purchased!?! You make it seem like Walmart is “such a bargain” and everything is “so cheap”. However, when you purchase 387 items that are “so cheap”, a quick run through to pick up diapers turns into 1/2 of a mortgage payment — and I can’t even recite what I purchased.

I’ve never been to a store where when you’re desperately trying to find S_O_M_E_O_N_E….  A_N_Y_O_N_E… to help, to no avail. And I mean NO avail. I first say in a sweet, respectful voice: “Excuse me, Miss?”, and then follow with increasing requests (as they dart to the back of the store). In my hurry (which is then fury) to track them down, I have been known to accidently run over strangers’ toes and knocking down displays. I mean, what starts as a simply “Excuse me, Miss?” turns into a chase of Kat and Mouse. Before I know it, they’ve jumped into the double-doors at the back of the store that are for ‘Personnel Only‘. I mean, c’mon people!

My last bone to pick for the day is OPEN UP MORE THAN 2 REGISTERS FOR THE 862 LINED UP TO CHECK OUT? Why I continue to put up with your crap, I don’t know. Probably b/c of the perception that I’m actually saving money — but all the money I’m saving is spent at the salon COVERING THE 458 GRAY HAIRS THAT surface due to the STRESS OF my visits to your chop shop.

WHY do you torture me so? Walmart, you make me late for EVERY commitment I have that follows my trip to your store. I’m not even going to comment on the CROWD THAT HANGS OUT at Walmart on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Visiting Walmart on a weekend night is like being held hostage at the freaking State Fair.I am NOT saying that I am more holy than thou, I feel like I have to take a shower before even hopping back in my car, for goodness sakes. I just feel filthy.

And, let’s talk about the fact that for the 1st time in my life I’ve considered using one of those child leashes for my children, while shopping there on a Friday night with them. The constant reminder of all of the Missing Children is wallpapered in the entranceway — solidifying my fear. I just pray they all weren’t kidnapped at Walmart. [Editor's note: I take MISSING Children very seriously; I can't think of anything in the world worse than this, truly. It just fears me that they tack up all of their photos at Walmart and not similar stores (i.e. Target). I just don't get it?]

I guess this is farewell, Walmart. Our courtship sucked, and so did our marriage. Why I stayed with you so long, I have no idea.

Comments

15 Responses to “Seriously? Dear Walmart”
  1. Angel says:

Oh I hear ya Ala I am forced into /Walmart cause it is the only store that has everything Ineed within a half hour drive..

HA HA HA!! I laughed out loud at this! My favorite line:”In my hurry (which is then fury) to track them down, I have been known to accidently run over strangers’ toes and knocking down displays.”

*sigh, wiping tears from my eyes*

This is great…and I feel your pain! I so prefer Target over WalMart, for both the clientele and staff. The WalMart by us is especially notorious for the *parents* who shop there at all hours of the day and night with their children…and usually scream obscenities at them–several aisles away. I know what you mean about being held hostage at the state fair. =)

Great post. So glad I found you (actually, YOU found ME!). I will be back!!

3. TornadoTwos says:

I’m in total agreement with you on this one, I “broke up” with Walmart ages ago and now my money goes to Target.

4. Katie says:

I have to admit that the Wally Worlds we have in town are nicer than the Target we have here.
    BUT I avoid W. M. Like the plague on weekends—it’s like being at a block party full of lost, desperate souls!

5. Chelsea says:

First of all, HAPPY SITS DAY!! Second, oh my goodness, you are too funny! I totally feel you with the Wal-Mart stuff! That place is a necessary evil in my small town. Some days it really does try to get the best of me! Next time I will think of this post and it will for sure bring a smile to my face!!

6. Kerri says:

Oh my GOSH so true….WalMart and I have a love/hate relationship. I hate going there and they LOVE My money!
    Congrats on your SITS day!

7. lexlocilori says:

the missing poster part = hilarious.

You must go read my walmart manifesto. “walmart makes me smoke (literally)”

8. Marie Cole says:

It’s WalSKANK for a reason…Shop Target you will be a lot happier I promise. :)

9. Ronnica says:

I used to work at Walmart…I promise I was a very pro-active, friendly cashier. Unfortunately, it has set the bar high for anyone I deal with at Walmart! I find it hard to leave without anger…working on that.

10. Becky says:

You know what, you are so right about trying to find someone to assist you. And even when I do, half the time they have no idea what I’m talking about. :)

And opening another checkout would be so magical!!! Cause standing in line for 30 min only to purchase a couple of things is way out of control!!! :)

Happy SITS Day!!

11. Laura says:

The Walmart I use must be an odd ball. There are always folks around to help (with a smile – of course, I am from the south). The only complaint I have is there are 10+ registers & only 5 will be open. Of course, I always spend more money than I plan to…

Happy SITS Day!

12. Young Wife says:

I’m with ya. I don’t shop at Wal-Mart unless I’m really desperate. It’s just awful. I’ll pay the extra ten cents and shop at Target.

13. Jenny says:

No can do Walmart. I refuse to. I hate it.

Your blog is really amazing. I can’t imagine how much time it takes to keep up with it! Have a great SITS day… you deserve it!!

14. Priscilla says:

I go to the walmarts here (three within 30 mi radius). Not too bad on the service. Too many teenagers working though.

I still dont like to spend more than $50 at walmart a month. I truly hate the industry. And, their ‘cheaper’ gluten-free section is non existant. Everything there is more expensive than health-food stores.

I hear you… I’ve heard so many horrible things about how they treat their workers… that’s why I sort of felt horrible not writing the nicest stuff… but — I can’t help my observations!