Seriously? (Sh#t) Eating Grin--Hamburger Helper? | Today's Cliche - Marriage, Family, & Working Mommy... from BOTH Women's and Men's Perspectives

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Seriously? (Sh#t) Eating Grin

February 8, 2010 by Kat

I’m pretty confident I’m going to create some enemies and/or piss some peeps off, but I can’t control myself. I’m still trying to figure out which is more bothersome: families who eat out a few times a week (am I jealous? Confused? Concerned? Jealous? Jealous? Jealous?); or moms who think this is a normal meal for their family and not just something to use in AN ABSOLUTE PINCH?

Who in the HELL eats this crap more than 1x a year, or actually feeds it to their family?

Admittedly, I’m a food snob. I’m a clothes snob, too, but can’t indulge… due to no money to spend after we diaper and clothe all of our brood, and quench HIS and HER palate with cases and cases of red wine each month.

I’m also a parmesan cheese snob — so, you know that if I use the cheap store-brand s&it hubby mistakenly picked up INSTEAD OF MY KRAFT GRATED (!) — you know the meal was not Kraft-worthy. Which is rare if it came from my kitchen.

Few things:

• My girth just expanded 5 inches from the sodium content. That’s after it went up 3 sizes just from looking at it.
  • Even though I wanted to regurgitate after my first bite, I continued to dive in — scoop after scoop — what is my problem?
  • Yep, all those dents above were made by Yours Truly (Heck, I took one bite, was disgusted, then poured cereal and milk for the kids.  However, swigged some red wine to get the taste out of my mouth — which was enough to disintegrate my taste buds — and subsequently dove back in to feed the belly).
  • Apologize for poor quality image (I’m also a photo snob); however, the meal was not worthy of my honkin’ Canon Rebel DSi. iPhone had to do.

Very sweet gesture of HUBBY to buy this mix last night when he ran into the grocery, knowing our Monday nights are full of scrambling and over-scheduling. But Hamburger Helper…really?

So, this is where the enemies are created – is this normal to eat crap like this? Do moms REALLY serve this boxed junk to their kids? It’s not that I think it’s fatty; I think that its laden in sodium, and there is zero fresh ingredients involved. Eckt. It just seems so… unnatural.

Don’t get me wrong, I do the boxed scallop potato thing in a pinch, but this Hamburger Helper schmegma is nasty. And, if you do make things like this for hubby and kids more than 1x a month… he hasn’t left you yet?

Ouch.

Comments

14 Responses to “Seriously? (Sh#t) Eating Grin”

I have an awesome recipe for a hamburger helper type of meal- only from scratch, so you don’t get all that sodium in there. ;)

2. I don’t eat it, won’t make it, won’t buy it…but then again, my kids eat a lot of McDonalds, which I won’t TOUCH.

3. Swirl Girl says:

One could make an argument for these prepared helpers and their cost saving and quick preparation.

But if you actually saute your own ground beef (oh, wait – you have to with that crap)and boiled your own pasta (hmmm..you have to with that helper, too!) and dumped a jar of sauce in (well, their sauce is some chemical powder stuff that needs to reconstituted with liquid)…have you really saved time and money? Not to mention being the healthier and tastier finished product. Not much of a ‘helper’ at all, huh?

I’m totally with you on the cheese thing, too . We buy a behemoth block of Reggiano Parmesan at Costco and grate it as we go.

4. Kat says:

Ouch, just realized that actually I’m a totally hypocrite, as I eat and serve McD’s often to the kids. But… that’s different.

5. shari pettigrew says:

If it comes in a box,I won’t make it!

6. Melinda says:

I won’t even buy that stuff let alone prepare and serve it. Just as easy to mix up that ground meat with an egg and some seasonings and make a simple meatloaf or meatballs. Tastier and actually homemade!
    I do buy boxes mac and cheese though :)
    stopping by from SITS

7. Courtney says:

Hey Kat, love your blog – you are hilarious. I too am a food, wine and designer jean snob (on a budget of course)! I will not be attending bloggy bootcamp in Baltimore. I am a’ hoping that they decide to come to Austin since I am in the Dallas area. I assume you are going? I would LOVE to know how it goes!

I will let you know how it goes! Love that we’re in the same boat on being a snob about these things… but don’t have the money to indulge. Maybe some day, right? Thanks soo much for stopping by, Courtney!

8. Hey, what’s going on? I grew up eating hamburger helper “makes a great meal”. Times have changed.

We all know – or could easily find out – how to eat and what to choose for healthy meals. But we get busy. Thank God the human body is efficient and can recover from our sins (bad meals) of the past.

If you’d like to see a body scan of an overweight person to see the real damage caused by our food decisions go here: http://thatgirlisfunny.com/2010/01/sins-of-the-past-what-do-yours-say-about-you/

Nice to meet you, SITStah!

Cheryl – OMGosh.. I SO have to go see that post you included. I can NOT get that “makes a great meal” jingle out of my flippin’ head, ever since I wrote it. Times HAVE changed, my friend!! And, RE: we all DO know how to eat healthy… but, yes… THE BUSYNESS gets in the way! I’m no saint — we frequent McD’s quite a bit. I was just so disgusted that I made that — and at like 1/3 of it… I had to VENT! LOVE YOUR SIte… AM TOTALLY a follower, Cheryl!

9. Tina Lane says:

I should start by saying I don’t have kids. But I do feed a rather LARGE husband on a daily basis. Our rule is, unless it is rice, pasta, or the like, I avoid cooking anything out of a box. Just because we need all the help we can get in the HEALTH department.

But my parents did feed me Hamburger Helper, which I think , in their minds, was fast and affordable for two overworked, exhausted parents who didn’t believe in fast food.

Thanks for visiting my Blog and entering my Jewelry Giveaway.

10. Hamburger Helper is what we eat on the rare occasion that I ask my husband to cook dinner. Which begs the question, is this why I so rarely ask him to cook?
    Thanks for stopping by Typing One Handed. I LOVE your site- I’m excited to explore some more. I live in the Northwest so I won’t be coming to Baltimore, but I’m REALLY hoping I’ll make it San Fran in August! Are you attending or speaking this time?

11. Emmy says:

I will do the tuna helpers sometimes I must admit, they actually seem halfway okay and is the one of the ways I can get my kids to eat fish.

So yeah, don’t judge but I do use it.. probably only once a month though

12. Melissa says:

So funny that we all draw the line somewhere! I myself, like you, would NEVER eat/make hamburger helper, but I can eat Chef Boyardee Ravioli like it’s going out of style!!! Which can’t be much better for me (guess it’s a good thing my toddler doesn’t like it!) And I make tacos every week….don’t know what’s in the magic Ortega taco seasoning pouch, but I dump it in the meat just the same!