Note 2 Self – As if it wasn’t bad enough when WE were in MS & HS… | Today's Cliche - Marriage, Family, & Working Mommy... from BOTH Women's and Men's Perspectives

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Note 2 Self – As if it wasn’t bad enough when WE were in MS & HS…

April 6, 2010 by Kat

This is credited to Mahalo.com:

Irish teen Phoebe Prince committed suicide after being harassed and taunted on Facebook. Prince, age 15, was found dead on January 14, 2010, in her home in South Hadley, Massachusetts. Prince, who attended South Hadley High School, reportedly hanged herself.Police said Prince was the victim of cyber bullying. After friends set up a memorial page for Prince on Facebook, some of the girls who allegedly harassed her online and in school continued to leave hurtful messages on her memorial page.

Nine Teens Charged

Nine teenagers have been charged in connection with the suicide of Phoebe Prince. Prosecutors working on the case claim that after many months of “bullying, stalking and harassment”, Prince decided to kill herself.While only 15-years-old at the time of her death, Prince’s harassers who are alleged to have caused her to commit suicide have since been described as “unrelenting”.The teens being charged are said to have gone on Facebook and mocked her even after she had died.

Of the nine teens who have been charged, two of them have also been charged with statuary rape. Prosecutors have said that Phoebe Prince endured “months of nearly constant stalking and harassment in person and online”.
Administrators at Prince’s school apparently did know about at least some of the bullying, however no officials at the school have been charged at this point.

Comments

8 Responses to “Note 2 Self – As if it wasn’t bad enough when WE were in MS & HS…”
  1. Ellen says:

You are not alone with the disgust for this. I do not have any of those social networks. My children don’t have them either – nor do they have cell phones. The way I’m keeping them from it is saying NO! I’m not dumb enough to think they couldn’t create one somewhere else, but if I raise them right, they will respect our rules. Stay strong and just be there for your kids. An involved parent really does make a difference!

2. Wow – that’s so horrifying. I couldn’t make myself click on the link.

I think that’s one of the cases in which you just need to be super strict and not let your kids have online freedom. It seems like overdoing things, but when you hear stories like this it makes sense.

Man, I’m gonna need to find something happy now before I spend the morning brooding.

3. Momma Drama says:

my daughter won’t have a facebook (or any other) account until she becomes responsible – meaning, has her license, a car, and a job of her own. Whether that’s at 16 or 18 – hopefully by then she’ll be mature enough to remove it if something starts to get crazy – I’ll also have her passwords to such sites and a monitoring system on the computer. She’s only 9 now, so I’ve got some time!

This is just so sad and horrifying! If people choose to let their kids do social media, they should have all the passwords and be in the room whenever it is used….in fact you should be in the room any time your kid is on the internet…..and not just in the room-in their space reading over their shoulder totally involved!!!!

5. Emmy says:

It really is so sad how easy things like Facebook make it to tease and be really cruel. I too am scared for my kids to get bigger.

6. Jayme says:

This story really breaks my heart and it is close to my heart too. when I was younger I was harassed for being chubby. Thank God they didn’t have social media outlets back then. It is our job as parents to monitor what our kids are doing online. We should also have open lines of communication with our children so that they can talk to us about anything. I was lucky to have a mom that I could talk to. It makes all of the difference in the world. Shame on those school officials for not doing anything about this too! They should be charged with something!

7. Alicia says:

I watched this and it is absolutely nuts to think just how mean some kids are! It made me sick to my stomach a bit. Is it going to get worse before it gets better?

8. This story is so sad and so scary. We are faced with so many more challenges now as parents and our kids as kids. Yes, it was hard enough when we were in school, now look at it. All new laws and rules need to be made for our new society.