Seriously? “Signs Signs Everywhere There Are Signs” | Today's Cliche - Marriage, Family, & Working Mommy... from BOTH Women's and Men's Perspectives

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Seriously? “Signs Signs Everywhere There Are Signs”

May 19, 2010 by Kat

Last month, after the 1st night of my Mom’s wake, we
all needed a drink like a liquid IV thought Mom would want her kids to unwind, and bond at a dive bar nice establishment with what equated to a keg of beer a glass of wine at 11 pm.  Nothing like those Irish — they want you to celebrate their life after the desolate, heartbreaking, and despairing Services. And, nothing like hanging out with your siblings late night, commemorating Mom.

You see, throughout the 3 days prior, I stumbled upon the most profound “signs” that she was with me, answering all of the questions I would mumble to myself about her absence (ridiculously cool stories for another blog post).  That night, specifically, my sister was blessed with a sign — and subsequently all of us — that could not have been more obvious. And, a sign for which we’re all so very grateful.

As we’re all on our 4th beer in 25 minutes casually sipping on a Guinness, my sis looks up and sees a “LIFESAVER” (get it?) inscripted with my Mom’s name: “Patricia”. She offers a substantial tithe to bartender to be able to bring it home with us. However, getting it down from ceiling — and out from above a fan — proves to be like delivering a watermelon from your no-no spot.

The Bartender refused to take any money from us as he KNEW he made all of our months.

We weren’t sure if Dad would be happy that we semi-stole (well, not really, but sorta) something from a bar. Quite the contrary – being that my mom’s “heaven” has and always will be her kitchen — he will hang it in the most obvious spot in her kitchen for all to see, and celebrate. The kitchen was always her refuge, and it remains so, today.

Comments

12 Responses to “Seriously? “Signs Signs Everywhere There Are Signs””
  1. I love the lifesaver as a memory of your mom and of your night remembering her with your siblings.

And I love how you’ve edited the photos, it’s very artistic!

2. Linsay says:

That is so awesome! I still see “signs” 3 years later and I can’t help but smile.

3. Spice says:

I think that’s so cool of the bar to let you have that! And so cool about the sign. I see signs all the time from loved ones that have passed away. I am sorry for your loss!!!!!

4. Jayme says:

That is so awesome! It is amazing. I also see signs all of the time from those that have passed. They are always with you!

5. Debby says:

I loved this story. I had signs from my mother after she passed and it’s important to follow through as you did. My mother’s wake was on St.Patrick’s day 28 years ago.

Oh my gosh… please let me know it gets easier — 28 years later? I’m so sorry when I hear that someone has lost a parent … it’s just horrible. However, I’m honored that you shared your story with me. Thank you!

6. CK says:

Wow! That is amazing. What a special reminder for all of you that she’s always with you…

When my (future) husband and I first started dating in college, I couldn’t believe it when I walked into his dorm room for the first time and he had on his wall the most random poster of a single tree covered in snow. I had the same poster hanging in my dorm room. We both had hung it up because it reminded us of home. I framed that same poster and gave it to him on our wedding day with a note on the back… talking about how it was a sign from the first moment I saw it, and how now it represents our own family tree. It hangs in our house today.

I love stories like yours… be it signs or coincidences or whatever you believe, that stuff gives me the chills!

Okay, LOVE LOVE LOVE this story! That is totally a sign. It must have been love at first ice (hockey/skate/tree). Love the moments that give you the chills. Would love to read a book full of chills!

7. Salt says:

I LOVE THIS! And how cool of them to give it to you. It’s not stealing if it was given to you. :)

8. Anon says:

I love how you write one thing and then cross it out and write something different. ROFL SO HARD.

9. Tara says:

That was seriously one of the most amazing experiences… watching everything unfold and then eventually holding our lifesaver/angel in our hands.. the nan/aunt patricia… so cool!! can’t beat a sign like that. miss and love you aunt patricia.. xoxo