She Said: “Right on the Money” | Today's Cliche - Marriage, Family, & Working Mommy... from BOTH Women's and Men's Perspectives

Sunday, October 22, 2017

She Said: “Right on the Money”

August 3, 2010 by Kat

We’re shaking things up. And I mean REALLY shaking.

As in it is MAKING me seriously shake. in. my. flip-flops.

For some reason, hubs doesn’t want to share many details of this.

Not sure if it’s because he doesn’t think it’s any of your business, or if “it’s a guy thing”. Or, if by sharing that we weren’t in the most stellar financial shape that somehow, as a man, he’s a failure (ouch, he’s gonna hate me for that one). Meanwhile, I am the one with the problem-o.

Actually, I really don’t have a problem. It’s just that I like things. And I want(ed) them. And as you read here, I don’t have patience. So, I want(ed) them. And I want(ed) ‘em now.

Back in January, I vowed to all of you — to hold me accountable — that we were going to go on a debt diet.  Did you not notice you haven’t read anything since about it?

Well, with my mom’s passing, the Detox, turning psycho over organizing my pantry, and keeping busy crashing weddings from time to time, I had a few other things to obsess over.

However…. in the most CHEEZY OF VOICES: “We are not living like no one else, so that one day we can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE”.

Enter Dave Ramsey.

Excuse us as we are debt dieting at the moment. About 1/2 way through, to be exact. And, it has completely transformed our marriage, our priorities, our stress levels, and my respect for the Mister.

Mind you, we are not in dire straights. It’s just that we didn’t pay cash for everything we purchased. I mean, do you? Cash? For EVERYTHING? C’mon. Fess up. There’s no way. If say you do, you either:

• Are over the age of 68
  • Got turned down for your 1st credit card on your college campus when they promoted those damn pieces of plastic as if they were free kegs
  • Are your Grandmother

If I’m wrong, and you have no credit cards, and NO DEBT besides your 1st mortgage,
please let me know.

I can’t believe we somehow have pulled off surviving for the past 2 months after cutting up all of our credit cards, and spending only cash 100% of the time.

We have officially catapulted. And it feels so good. You may be pissed at how we’re nauseatingly organized now, and wind up gagging-yourself-with-a-spoon.   But still love me. Still love us.

PS- Never knew “nauseatingly” was a word… spell check didn’t flag it, so whatev.

Comments

12 Responses to “She Said: “Right on the Money””
  1. Angel says:

Ihave heard a ton of great things about Dave Ramsey. We have debt but no credit cards. Our mortgage only. But our issue is his paycheck varies from week to week and so do our bills aside from the mortgage.. so without fail one week his check will be 600 we budgte for an average bill for something that week that should take asbout 13 and it will take like 1/2 drives me batty

Will you hate me if I tell you that we pay cash for everything?

But, it is b/c we have debt and we’re trying to work on reducing it, so we do not ever use credit cards.

3. I guess you will hate me then, we pay cash for things and we don’t have a mortgage. Our church, http://www.theway.org has taught the debt free life long before Dave Ramsey was even born and we fully believe the Word of God and how our Heavenly Father does not want us to owe any man anything. IF we can’t pay cash we don’t buy it. If you desire and need something then God will provide that for you, we save until we can purchase and when those times come that we need something before we can save for it God has provided, we’ve been given cars, appliances, college paid for, etc. I am so glad you are doing this, this is the only way to truly freely live. Free from debt is a freedom that goes beyond most people’s comprehension. Good luck to you!

4. Rebekah C says:

Ha! Dh and I do not have credit cards and never have. We have considered getting one but we are already IN debt for school. So I dunno how I feel about having MORE debt. We pay cash for everything. I assure you that we are neither our Grand-mothers, over 60 (in fact, in Jan I’ll be 30 and he’ll be 29) nor have we ever been turned down as we’ve never applied for one.

I know, I know. We’re weird.

5. Salt says:

I am so proud of you!!!! Doesn’t it feel amazing?

I cut up my cards at the end of last year and have been a cash (or really like a Visa debit card) business ever since. Of course I’m still paying off the debt that I had already accrued, but soon enough that will all be gone too.

6. I will say that we do not use credit cards. 2 years ago when I married my husband we had some credit card debt…a good deal. And we vowed and paid it ALL off in a year. So for the past year we have been credit card debt free! We don’t use credit cards, only debit and cash, and if we do use credit cards for points we pay them right away. I think credit cards are the root of all evil in this country. If you can’t afford to pay cash you can’t afford it.
    Now…we do have loans on cars and our mortgage…but when it comes to every day things and credit cards we do not use them.

Kat, I think it’s wonderful! Joe and I went cold turkey about 2 years ago. It’s very scary at first, but it does feel good to know that when you buy something, you really own it–you’re not just borrowing it until you pay it off in 48 easy installments with triple the interest.

We had 5 credit cards and we have paid off all but ONE. We are in the process of paying it down every month and it feels SO good! We are far from being debt free, but it will happen.

Kudos to you guys! Still and always will love ya!

That is wonderful that you are doing so well!

We pay cash for everything, but did have to borrow a little bit to buy a car recently when ours died. Completely. Since we only had one vehicles, and my husband has to have it for work, buying a new one right away was a necessity.

Our issue is budgeting. He makes wildly different amounts every week (he is a self employed tree surgeon) so one week he can make $2,000 and the next week it might only be $200. There is no way to plan around that. Right now we are working on trying to quickly pay off that car loan and build up an emergency fund. Whew!

9. I spend cash only on everything. My parents always taught me never to buy anything on credit, unless it was a) a house or b) a car (and you should always try to pay cash for a car if you can)

I don’t have a credit card, but I plan on getting one to build up some credit! Also plan on following mom’s advice to pay off every credit card bill at the end of each month.

Granted, I haven’t bought a house or a car yet, so maybe I shouldn’t talk :)

10. Great for you! I’ve heard such good things about Ramsey, I’m glad it’s working!

11. Kaeden says:

I’m impressed by your writing. Are you a pofressoinal or just very knowledgeable?