He Said: “Top 10… Realizations (She Had this Week)”
I was torn between my own Top 10 list, or just tearing apart my wife’s list. Since she’s going away with the girls this weekend, I figured I’d send her off with my comments:
Dave: Speaking of growing up (or, not), I thought that only teenage boys send pictures of their frank and beans to girls on their cell phones? Apparently that’s not the case, as this week we found out that Brett Favre – yes, that one, the 41-year-old QB - was sending photos of his twig & berries to a female Jets employee. Unreal.
2. The next time I step into my closet and say, “I have nothing to wear”, I have to remind myself of all of those people in 3rd world countries I spent time with in 1996, as well as our Sponsor Child in Guatemala, who R E A L L Y H A V E N O T H I N G T O W E A R (thanks to AJ for his sermon on Sunday for that much needed revelation).
Dave: Did anyone else stay up past 1 am on Tuesday night, watching the rescue of the Chilean miners? Talk about reality TV! That was some of the most incredible television I’ve watched in a long time.
Also, if she’s reminding herself of the above comment, WHY is she running around the house, wasting over an hour of time, trying to find one specific pair of shoes for her getaway weekend? And more importantly, why am I running around the house heping her? She has 90 other pairs of shoes that would work.
3. It’s amazing how much pain I’m harboring from my mom’s death, on the Eve of her 6 month Anniversary of being in Heaven
Dave: I can’t believe it’s 6 months already. I’m honored to know that a piece of Nana lives on in our 4 munchkins.
4. We ARE SO “THAT FAMILY”. It’s humiliating. You know, the one who everyone rolls eyes at b/c anywhere they go, they come IN WITH A BANG. They’re late. Most are 1/2 dressed. Some have shoes on, some don’t. And likely their faces are crusty with breakfast still on them (and it’s noon). And, they ALL whine. Even the mom.
Dave: I’m confused…I don’t see this happening. When DAD is in charge, everyone is on-time, clean and clothed. Does this only happen when Mom is leading the way?
5. There is nothing more precious than laying with your children at night, with them snuggling and whispering in your ear how much they love you
Dave: Once again, Dave = confused. I’m writing this post at 9:21 pm. Two of the kids are awake – one says he’s cold, the other says she’s hot, and they’re both complaining that the other is hitting them. Is this what she means by ‘precious’? Do my wife and I live in two different houses?
6. Your husband is GONNA KNOW when you blow the monthly budget by approximately $1300. Seriously? WHAT the HELL WAS I THINKING?
Dave: What’s a worse Christmas gift for your wife – A) a vacuum, B) two tickets to a Steelers/Ravens game, or C) a calculator. Since we can no longer afford A or B after all of our (her) spending this month, I guess she’s stuck with a calculator. At least it will help with her math for next month’s budget. I could go on and on and on with this one…it’s just so ‘precious.’
7. My siblings mean more to me than they’ll ever know. I wish we all lived in the same town — just as I envisioned we would, when I was growing up. I miss them terribly. We are all so terribly different; it’s kinda cool. I love them to death, even though I now have a family of my own.
Dave: I’ll never admit it to them, but she’s right – her family rocks.
8. Don’t park in a spot that says “Reserved Parking”, even though its just your kids’ school, and you’re just running in for a sec. You will receive the business card under your windshield wiper of no one other than the PRINCIPAL letting YOU KNOW that SHE KNOWS you are in. her. spot. Ouch. And, since I’m so freakin’ cheezy, OF COURSE I have multiple very gay stickers all over the back of my car (we’re also “so that car“). Hmmm… maybe she didn’t notice them or know it was “THAT FAMILY’s car”.
Dave: Does this mean she was running late again?
9. I WILL LET THE DOOR HIT ME ON THE WAY OUT tomorrow morning. Why? Going on a (what Dave would call my 19th) GIRLS’ WEEKENDS in Chicago! Giddy Up.
Dave: I hope she has fun. She deserves it. Just not too much fun…
10. Who is so lucky to still have amazing friends from their past AND their present? And, like… we’re talking lots of them. This girl.
Dave: Gay, but true. “This girl” has somehow managed, even with ALL of her quirks, to surround herself with some incredible people, from elementary school all the way to 2010. Pretty cool stuff.